The Amazon Associates Affiliate program is a great way to get started in affiliate marketing. The process for promoting Amazon products and earning revenue from it is an easy one. Amazon, as one of the largest online stores in the world, will have something that appeals to almost everyone in some way. One important thing to note about the Amazon Associates program is that if you send a person, via an affiliate link, to Amazon for shoes, and they buy a book, a grill, and some new panties without buying the shoes, you earn the commission on all that new stuff.
Who Should Try This?
Selling via Amazon Associates is for either someone who is opinionated or simply someone who uses quite a few specific things in their day to day life that they don’t mind recommending to others.
Expertise In a Specific Topic
You don’t need expertise in any specific field, but it helps to be at least somewhat proficient in what you are promoting.
You only need to research the items you will be reviewing.
Blogging Experience & Knowledge
One of the best ways to earn an income from affiliate sales is by having a blog.
How to Monetize
Earning an income with the Amazon Associates Affiliate program can be done in many different ways. Some require a website, others only need social media accounts.
- Product Reviews are probably one of the most common ways to earn income though affiliate sales. Buy things online like you usually would and as you open it up, turn it on and try it out, you take your followers on that journey to figure out if that item is worth buying. You make sure to link back to amazon where your follower can buy it for themselves if they liked it. Another way to do this is to compare devices. With this method, the entire story is about the item.
- Product Recommendations relevant to your niche are another popular idea. This works similar to the above except less of an overall review of the product and more of a casual recommendation. An example of this would be if you had a blog on woodworking and you were working on a project and your tools list in the post included affiliate links to where your followers could buy the same items you use to make pretty things.
- Amazon ads strategically placed around your website can also bring in revenue. These work just like banner ads, because they are. It can advertise Prime Day on Amazon, Mothers’ Day, etc.
- Product Reviews don’t have to be on a website. Social media Channels like Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube are excellent places to recommend products you can just put the link in the Description of the video or SM Post.
- Product Recommendations work in a very similar fashion. You simply put the “tools used” or “makeup used” in the post or description and bam, you are on you way to a modest additional income for the days ahead.
Keep in mind that you will need a good many followers to start earning a significant income. However, I recommend starting to include these early on because that first review you did might not get many views now, but it could go viral in a few months and you don’t want to miss out on that potential affiliate income!
The chart below briefly describes the earning potential of this tactic. I do not include dollar amounts because, just like in the non-digital world, effort = reward.
This tactic relies heavily on promoting. So, some form of platform is necessary. Either a website or social media channel is required to be successful. There is always the potential that if you, yourself, have an Amazon store that you can use your affiliate links to promote your own products. I haven’t looked into the ToC lately, but this was confirmed to be in compliance at one time.
- Affiliate Sales
- Sell Stuff (Digital)
- Sell Stuff (Physical)
- Sell Subscriptions
Want to Hire an Expert?
This Tactic NOT For You?
A Membership site is a great opportunity to share knowledge, network with people, and create a sustainable business. But, What is a membership site, you may ask. A membership site is website that has valuable, exclusive content only available to subscribing members. The members must sign up, and preferably pay some form of subscription fee to access the content.
A Membership site usually has some sort of platform for members to interact with each other. This can take the form of an internal social networking site similar to twitter, reddit, or others, it it can be a simple community forum.
A Great way to think about a Membershp Site is that it is an extension of an Authority or Niche site. The conten is so valuable and the community is so awesome that people will pay to be a part of it.
A Niche Website is a small website focused on one particular topic which shares information relevant to the chosen topic. It is important that the information be both useful and interesting to your readers. A niche website can be either a few pages or even up to hundreds of pages, depending upon the size of the niche. Typically The Larger more general niche sites are called Authority sites. IMO, Authority are more work for your time investment. If you don’t feel comfortable outsourcing blog tasks, I would stick to smaller niche sites and focus down on your chosen niche.
A Niche Website is a small website focused on one particular topic which shares information relevant to the chosen topic. It is important that the information be both useful and interesting to your readers. A niche website can be either a few pages or even up to hundreds of pages, depending upon the size of the niche.